Thursday, March 7, 2013

applying meaning towards change

I am realizing that we take the understanding and action of certain museum, education, and development concepts for granted. For instance:
Community
Outreach
Participation

Today we are meeting with teachers at their school. We are going to them.
It's really exciting helping our director apply meaning and purpose to the actions we are taking towards developing stronger partnerships. She had planned a lengthy presentation about our Centre and the ed programs offered and I realized that I hadn't explained or reviewed the fundamental concepts of outreach, partnerships, and collaboration. I suggested asking them questions during the talk and providing a small group activity that would allow them to share their teaching experiences. We met for over an hour discussing the phrase, "getting to know them."

"AH," She said. "I understand this Know. What they like and dislike"
        Yes, and their strengths.
        and their needs.
 
"But these teachers, they are the hardest group in Georgia to know"

I tell her it's okay, we can't predict their responses, but we can try to show that we care about their thoughts, their ideas and their experiences.
I helped her structure the meeting in a more interactive way - allowing us to observe and collect data.

       It's getting late, and cold.
       I am hungry and tired, but we work on. Then she says.

"Sometimes I don't know why we are doing this?"

       I know, I say
       but remember what you told me when we first met -
       that you believe in the power of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment